bookwormAtNight

StitchersGirl

"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

Borrowing Trouble

Borrowing Trouble - Kade Boehme

Alright, this is going to be hard.

Because I adore Kade Boehme, as a person and as a writer. He and his books are always authentic, alsways real, always funny and smart and sexy and everything else I like - in books and people.

And I liked the MCs in this story, too. Jay is a sweatheart. Unsure of his sexualtiy, he likes his uncomplicated life, even though he does have his ups and downs with his ex-wife and his level of contentedness. And I loved Landon. Sure of his sexuality, but not exactly clear on what exactly he wants to do with the rest of his (love) life, he is one adorable and loveable guy. The story line also worked fine for me. I know some complained about the ex being an awful harpy - again. I didn't think so. Yes, she was upset first and said some pretty awful things. But come on! Her ex - the one she might or might not still have had positive and negative feelings for - just told her he was gay and blamed himself for the failure of their marriage. So she had a freak out moment - I felt like she might have been a tiny little bit entitled to it. Plus, she came around pretty fast afterwards and apologized. That's not what a harpy looks like to me. So yeah, I didn't have a problem with that, either.

I'm really sad to say it, but this time the writing was the thing turned me off. Parts of it felt too stilted. Sometimes I was wondering if it was really Kade Boehme who wrote this, because every so often a sentence, an akward phrasing or a conversation that felt too forced and wrong, threw me so completely, I couldn't really enjoy the book. It pains me, it really does, but this didn't click with me. Which is a real shame because I could have loved it so much, but I didn't, because for the first time ever the writing absolutely didn't work for me.