bookwormAtNight

StitchersGirl

"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

Make Me

Make Me: A Jack Reacher Novel - Lee Child

God, YES!

Hell, yeah! This was a JACK REACHER. A Reacher, as we know him and love him.

It's more or less a typical secnario for him. He decides on a whim to explore a little town because of it's name, Mother's Rest. Of course, there is something strange going on, something he has no interest in at first. Until he meets former FBI Agent/ now private investigator Chang, and starts listening to what she has to say. Everything changes quickly after that. Reacher and Chang not only fall into bed, but also in a weird rabbit hole - where nothing is as it seems and they have to find out quickly who is the hunter, and why they suddenly become the hunted. And all of that because, originally, Chang was only looking for a colleague who in turn, was looking for the son of a client.

This bokk has everything I started to miss over the previous stories. It's fast-paced, the mystery is solid, it kept me guessing. No chance to get bored with this one. I absolutely loved that! As always, I also learned something new about a part of our world I had no idea about - the Deep Net. A fascinating topic, by the way.

Anywho, back to the story. Because something was different. In the very best way. Lee Child started something that made Jack Reacher very human very fast. Not only did he enjoy more than two nights in bed with Chang, he liked it so much, he actively wanted to spend more time with her after the case was closed. Very unusual, and SO touching. Haven't really seen this side of Reacher before. Plus, Reacher got HURT. Wait, what?! I mean, yes, he's gotten his fair share of bruises and broken bones over the years, and lost quite some blood, too. On a regular basis, really. But this was the first time he wasn't able to just shake it off. I mean, Reacher had symptoms. SYMPTOMS. He went to an emergency room! Jack Reacher. In a hospital. I didn't think I'd see the day. Not like this. Not because of something he always laughed off before.

In a way, it not only made him more human, it also started to change his perspective. Not by much, and not in so many words, but while reading it I thought to myself more than once: "Oh dear, he finally realizes that he actually is not a twenty-something army guy with nothing to loose anymore." Very interesting, and I can't wait to see how that'll influence future stories.

In the end I left this book on my shelf with a smile, because it was everything I was hoping for in the new Reacher, and even a little bit more of something I didn't even know I wanted. I really, really loved it and absolutely recommend it for basically every suspense lover and every fan of Jack Reacher in particular.