bookwormAtNight

StitchersGirl

"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

500 Miles

500 Miles - Parker Williams What. The. Heck.

So many people love this book. Why? Seriously, I don't get it! The sweetest part of this whole thing were the letters and the Mixed Tape - Part. The rest of it? A big, fat NO. I can't even say the writing was mediocre at best. There was no best. Sloppy, basically simpler than simple, no flow, no depth, no style. I found nothing appealing here. Which is why I was not touched at all. Not even a little bit, even though I love a good story about soldiers, PTSD, the psychological effects of traumatic experiences, of losing parts of your body and/or soul. It is a very complex, deep and challenging topic and it is certainly overamibtious to try and get everything exactly right. But this one didn't get anything right in my book. It felt almost like there was no research or emotional investment spent on that book at all, which makes me even more furious because this topic deserves all of that and so much more. So yeah, a big freaking What. The. Heck. from me and after this unbelievable, made-me-gag ending I would have given zero stars if I could have. Alas, hell no!