bookwormAtNight

StitchersGirl

"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." - Oscar Wilde

Never Go Back

Never Go Back - Lee Child 4 stars

Allright, I love Reacher. What can I say? He just does it for me. I certainly agree with a lot of readers that he had better stories. The little "mini-series" around Susan Turner wasn't that good - at least not for me. But it was all worth it for this one little: "You're back in the army, Major. And your ass is mine."

Don't ask me why this did it for me, it just did. My man, ex-army himself, had to hear me sing-song this line so often, he was going nuts. Made. My. Day.

Other than that the story was weaker than his former "cases". The mystery wasn't as twisted, the motivations of the bad guys just so far out there, the reasons behind the crimes not "good enough" for me. And I admit it freely, I wanted more "army", less "criminals on the run". It's just a perspective-thing, really. People are different, so soldiers are different, but while Reacher isn't exactly your defintion of a playing-things-by-the-book-guy, he WAS a soldier for far too long, and member of a family in the Armed Forces, to act the way he did. Sure, he wanted to clear Turner's and his own name, so he was willing to do what needed to be done. That's the Reacher we know and love. I also understand that he somewhat lost his faith in the system a while ago, which is why he left the MPs in the first place. BUT. And that was just a niggle I couldn't really get over; to abandon everything he learned and trained and believed in for most of his life, so utterly and completely? I don't know. Like I said, I have an ex-soldier in my life, and believe me, after losing faith in the system, there still is no such thing as an "ex-soldier". Ask the Marines. Or Rangers. So, maybe I'm too biased because of my personal experience, but with my "background" I couldn't completely buy what was sold here.

Also, was I the only one who found the "climax" between Turner and Reacher to be lacking? A little anti-climatic? We needed three (THREE! books to get to this point! And then? You could argue it just fits with Reacher and his fast "bam-boom-bang-done" approach. But really? I would have liked it to be more than that. But, as always, that's just me.
In the end, this book really was good. Not perfect, but good. A little better than the last for sure, and I just love my anti-hero Reacher too much to really rate it less than 4 stars. And I'm already on to the next one.